/ Photo by Ralph Hockens /
“Recording the news means to keep the lines of communication open. It is a real loss when spirit dials our number and finds out that we aren’t listening. Every times it’s busy some major thing passes us, walks away.”
~Malidoma Some, African healer and medicine man
Signs and symbols are life’s divination tools. The key is to keep your eyes open for the unusual. Someone who is driving the wrong way on a one-way street could suggest a friend is misdirected, or the message is for you to reconsider the direction you are taking. When spirit is trying to communicate, a spontaneous, unexpected event will show up.
Tracking signs and symbols requires similar skills as hunters use: patience, movement recognition, and the ability to sit quietly. When you track signs, you are tracking yourself — you are receiving a message on how your life is unfolding.
Here’s a beginning list to start tracking signs and symbols. Have fun!
1. Animals are teachers. Did you notice a deer in your yard or did a special bird come to greet you? Even insects have something to say. Each animal represents a spiritual quality and general habitat that you may need in the moment or during a specific growth phase in your life.
If you see a deer, the deer is a gentle messenger. You will receive relief or positive news in your situation. However, if you see a deer that died on the side of the road, you may encounter a situation where there is no kindness and consideration.
2. Overhearing a conversation. When you hear part of conversation, that line or two that you overheard could be the message you were waiting for that day.
Spirit wants to give you answers. You don’t have to wait to know the answer. When you want to know whether your house has closed yet, or whether you’ve gotten into your college of choice, ask spirit for an answer. Then, listen to conversations that come up near you.
3. Read the other street signs: License plates, billboards, and sayings on T-shirts for messages. If you find a greeting card in a library book, the card may be significant in some way. If you see someone wearing a T-Shirt that has a saying on it, the saying has meaning.
When you see a license plate that stands out, ask yourself what you were thinking that moment or what issue was the issue of the day. I’ve noticed two license plate types: 443owl (numbers with a word) or Golden (a solid word). Some have letters left out, but they seem to make a word anyway like taich4 could mean taichi 4. Fill in the letters as you see fit to retrieve your message.
4. Not your everyday mail. When you receive a letter that’s not yours, it could still have meaning. Lots of mail from a horse trainer who you do not know could suggest you have a connection to horses. If you receive an email from a Peter, but don’t know of one, the repeated emails are hinting that you will meet someone with that name in the near future.
I received a brochure from someone I did not know offering a workshop on how to deal with loss and grief. Within a few months, I encountered a period of loss and grief in my life. Spirit sends you ‘life workshops’ and an announcement to go with it.
5. Strange visitors. If someone comes to your door at your home by mistake, it’s probably not an error at all. This could announce the arrival of a guest, new friend, or significant event.
A man from a real estate agency knocked on our door one evening and asked if we knew of any homes for sale on our street. We said we weren’t aware of any homes for sale currently. Our landlords decided to sell this house and this man’s question and appearance showed us that this was coming down the pike.
6. Sticks, stones, and feathers. Ever walk down a trail and see a group of sticks or stones in a specific formation? Divination symbols (circles, crosses, Runes, etc.) can show up in nature on a trail, on a large stone, on a tree trunk.
I see feathers frequently, and they are always reassuring signs. For example, a feather means a confirmation. We all need a little confirmation that we are on the right track.
Grandmother Twylah of the Seneca says that a feather represents good news. When the feather has no openings in its plume, the news is welcome and it comes all at once. When the feather is separated with holes, the news will come in intervals.
~Brad Steiger, author of American Indian Medicine Dreambook
7. Hearing a song on the radio. Spirit speaks through songs too. Listen to the lyrics closely when a song comes on the radio that stands out to you. Also, if a song keeps playing over in your head, you are receiving a message.
Listen for songs that come on when you first turn on the radio or after a pause on the radio. Spirit doesn’t like clutter and always looks for an open space, that special opportunity to send you a message with an exclamation mark.
8. Colorful landmarks. When you are trying to make a decision, observe the colors in your surroundings. Spirit loves color and will paint your world a specific color to answer to your question.
If you are considering whether to take that new job or not and you’ve seen three bright red cars that day, spirit may be saying — stop, look before you leap. If you are trying to decide between two homes to buy, watch the colors of things on the drive there. Green would suggest a green light. Yellow — yield, reconsider.
9. Honor your emotions as an intuitive signal, your Soul’s Morse Code. We often treat our emotions as junk mail that pours in with no method or magic. Next time a feeling surfaces, listen to the message behind the drama, and you’ll find guidance, instruction, and direction to behold.
Your body and your emotions are some of the best symbols to start tracking because they are close to home. An injured shoulder could suggest you’ve taken on too many responsibilities and rest is the prescription. Crying every morning might indicate that you’ve stayed at your office job too long when you’ve got singing talents that need expression.
Your body and your emotions demand your attention. If you turn the other way, they’ll twist your arm — literally — to get your attention. Spirit is similar. Spirit repeats the message several times in order to reach you.
What signs have you noticed that you would like to share, and how did they actually manifest in your life?